April 21, 2017
Dear St. Joseph Parishioners,
- “On the evening of that first day of the week, when the doors were locked where the disciples were.” The mastery of the Fourth Gospel is most visible as we stay with its text another Sunday. Note in the life of the faith, this Sunday in the Octave of Easter is the same day (just a little later) as Easter Sunday. The “disciples” is more open ended than just the 11, After all, if the Gospel writer did not limit it to the 11 why should we? Note too that the human emotion is raw. There is a locked door (from the inside) even though objectively no one is looking for them. The authorities wanted Jesus, not them (Good Friday). Fear is a common part of our life—as is depression or anxiety, especially in light of a setback or defeat or illness. Jesus meets them and us too where we are. Fear is not denial or rejection. It is an invitation to trust—and believe.
- I have all our Masses: Saturday 5pm and Sunday at 9:30am (English) and 12noon (Spanish).
- Our color stays “white” until Pentecost.
- Congratulations to those celebrating blessings and baptisms on Saturday
- Aguilar Soto family on a IIIa Presentation
- Sanchez and Espinoza families on baptisms
- Thursday, April 27 is our Altar Society Annual Salad and Quiche luncheon. Please join us.
- First Communion is now close at hand (Sunday May 7). Interviews for candidates will start Tuesday—sign up lists via Liliana and Leslie. Please note that SJ School children will do their interviews during the school day so no need to schedule.
- Confirmation Interviews will follow First Communion. Confirmation will be Wednesday 17 May at 7pm (bi-lingual)
- SJ School welcomed Fr. Elkin Gonzalez Vicar General/Vocations Director and newly named pastor of the Parish of Christ the King (Tulsa) on Thursday for Mass.
- Enrollment continues for 2017-18. Please contact Sandy for a tour or a “shadow” day (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- School and Home Association hosts “Trivia Night” Saturday May 6. Tickets are available for purchase through the School.
- Youth activities continue. Please contact Youth Ministers Patty or Alfredo for more information.
- Fr Joe Townsend (St. Benedict BA) and I are returning to Alaska by cruise this August (R/T San Francisco). We would love for you to join us. Please contact Mary Anne of Travel Connections for details and pricing. A PDF is available by email. Please contact the Church office and one will be emailed to you.
May God bless you and all you love and all you should
St. Joseph Church and School